QUESTIONS: “I have a problem about site dimensions and exact location of design. I do not find information about place dimensions. Is that according to designer idea? if that is not, how can i find exact location of design site and dimensions?”
ANSWER: Yes, placement would be according to designer’s idea. The dimension of your work is fixed but open in relation to the budget of constructing the design entry, which is $3,000 (USD) for materials and local labor. The design teams of the selected designs will look at the site condition and select the final spot once they are on site. The site is about 6 acres, and 10 more acres will be added to it. The images above show sections of the site: Map A is site photo of a section of the site, Map B is the Google map of site and Map C is an aerial view of Abetenim village with a marked spot showing the location of the arts village.
Could you recommend a source to find prices for plants, local quarry stone, and top soil? In keeping with the requirement of $3000 for cost of the land art installation I would like to work from a local source for needed good and services. I understand that labor is not included in the cost for construction. Is the use of equipment also not included?
ANSWER: Expect to pay the local skilled laborer about $10 per day and unskilled laborer $7 per day. About the equipment we have on site, they are basic such as hand tools and a concrete mixer.
Concerning sources of local materials, here is a best best site: www.bmghana.com. In general, A truck load of quarry stone is about $100.00, and 1 bag of cement is $10.50. And keep in mind that prizes are subject to change.
Here are my responses to the questions not answered by FAQ: Hand Pressed Brick per brick - Budget 20 cents per brick Framing Lumber per linear foot - Budget $1. Here is my estimate for: Heavy Wood beam per linear foot = Budget $2 8' x 8' Plywood per unit - There is 4' x 8' and the current price is $8 Sand per lb - It is usually sold by truck trips, a trip of sand = $60 Small aggregate per lb = gravels sold by truck trips, budget $100 per trip
LOCALLY SOURCED WOOD IN GHANA FOR BUILDING CONSTRUCTION Some forest timber for construction include Bonsamdua, African Walnut, Utile, Yaya, Akasa, Mansonia, Mahogany, Odum, Sapelewood, etc. See full list of timber species and description on the website of the Forestry Commission of Ghana: www.ghanatimber.org/species.php and their applications: www.ghanatimber.org/applications.php
(1) “Will all the works selected be created?” The teams of all the selected works will be invited to collaborate with Nka to organize a workshop to construct their entry based on site at Abetenim in Ghana. It is up to the team to decide if it wants to take on the construction challenge.
(2) “What will be the timeline for their creation?” Construction workshops to realize the Top 40 Design Entries will run from September 2017 to March 2019. Each land art workshop will run from 6 to 8 weeks, according to project.
(3) “What kinds of facilities will there be for the artists, particularly housing and equipment?” We will provide free accommodation for the workshop leader in a guest house at the village during the workshop. At Abetenim site we have 8 houses for accommodation of your workshop participants. See that Abetenim Arts Village Site Photos: yadi.sk/d/FBDXIIDey8knP
(4) “I will also assume that travel expenses will be covered by the artist, correct?” It can be covered by the workshop, if you use our workshop model (see attached document).
Question: The map B and C attached can not coincide with a drawing, maybe they are different site, could I get other information about the site?
ANSWER: Thank you for the note about Map B and Map C. Map C, the survey map was not accurately rendered. So, I have replaced it with an aerial photographic view of the Abetenim village with a marked spot showing the location of the arts village.
QUESTON：About " One A1 presentation board submitted as a JPG file of high resolution (1 MB)" , should the JPG file not be less than 1M or be less than 1M？ If it is less than 1M, the resolution of the A1 board is too low. Please give a clear explanation，Thanks！
ANSWER: The A1 presentation file should be of the JPG format and less than 1 MB to be uploaded to nkaprojects.boards.net/thread/63/submitted-entries. 1 MB is requested because 1 MB is the maximum file size that the platform allows. And do submit the A1 file of a higher resolution to us via firstname.lastname@example.org .
QUESTION: “Could you provide us the construction plan and hydrology map of the art village?”
ANSWER: On the construction site, the top soil is of red earth mixed with gravel and sand, which is an ideal proportion for rammed earth, mud brick, cast earth or cob construction. About gradient, the surface of the land slopes about 5% in the direction of South to North. That is to say, when it rains, water flows Northward.
QUESTION/CONCERN: I am interested in information about the water sources in the area and how do the local people have access to drinkable water
ANSWER: There is a stream that passes through the village of Abetenim, but not the main source of water supply. Abetenim is a growing rural setting, located three miles to Juaben Township. There is a stream that passes through community. There is electric grid and no public running water. There are also two public boreholes fitted with hand-pumps, where the community gets clean water. At Abetenim Arts Village, which is the project site, there is running water well that supplies water for all purposes. Some of our international participants drink as bottled water.
Hi, i would like to ask the following questions: 1. For Carol's question dated 19 Dec 2016, no. (4) “I will also assume that travel expenses will be covered by the artist, correct?” It can be covered by the workshop, if you use our workshop model (see attached document) However, i can't find any attached document. Please kindly provide if there is any. ANSWER: Here it is GUIDELINES FOR ARTS WORKSHOP LEADERS Nka Fo....pdf (433.46 KB)
2. Is there any specification required content should be included in that A1 presentation board? Do we need to show how much we estimate to spend on the project? ANSWER: The design brief says: "The design statement (200 words max) should include the meaning of the work, material description and budget in USD" And keep in mind that the judging criteria involve: (1) Functionality: As a land art design; (2) Form: Visual appearance through use of materials, shape, color, texture, etc based on the intended function of the work; and (3) Technical issues to the degree the work addresses construction techniques, climatic factors and construction budget. Decisions of the jury will be final and binding.
3. From map A, B, C, could we use the forest surrounded? ANSWER: You may, but we prefer works sited in open arts village areas that accessible to the public.
4. For the site area, you have mentioned there would be 6 arcs plus 10 more arcs, would it be shared by the 40 selected design? ANSWER: Yes. So far a portion of the 6 acres have buildings that make up the first phase of the Abetenim Arts Village. We are thinking of dedicating an area as a pavilion for some the land art works, and the rest can be distributed over the arts village landscape.
I would like to know a little bit more about the vegetation in the area. We see from google maps a few tree species. Could you identify them and tell us about their width and height? Also can you mark on the map the 6 and 10 acres you mentioned so we could see if there is an area with vegetation or a deforested area?
ANSWER: We want use the areas close to build area that will be accessible to the public. At this stage, flexibility is key; if is safer to propose a tentative spot. And when you are on site, you would make the final selection. If a certain tree is necessary, you can plan one. See more site photos of the arts village: yadi.sk/d/FBDXIIDey8knP , www.flickr.com/photos/95796435@N05/
1- how many local people could work daily to produce a selected Land art project? Is there many volonteers too ? Also how long is a standart day of work in Abetenim? ANSWER: The number of local persons to work on your project will be according to the size and method of construction. For a large project you would have one local assistant. Along the way, if you need a mason, a carpenter or metal worker, you would invite the artisan to render specific tasks on the project.
2- what about second hand material, as for exemple same section old wood board , is it easy to get, is it free? ANSWER: Yes, there are second hand materials and forest materials you can harvest for free.
3- What about the flying ticket fees to come on site for the prodution? do i have to pay it myself? ANSWER: If you use our workshop format, airfare and accommodation will be covered, but you will be responsible for your food throughout the workshop. See attached GUIDELINES FOR ARTS WORKSHOP LEADERS above in my answer to QUESTION FROM MAIA
isidore: THERES NO WAY TO POST. HELP Please, try post your entry now. It is working.
Oct 16, 2017 6:36:56 GMT -6
honourarc: please can someone confirm the receipt of our submissions just so we know its been received. Yes and it is posted above.
Oct 16, 2017 3:10:27 GMT -6
marcoandreola: (Answer is posted above) Dear NKA, can you please provide us with more information about the required facilities for the toilet and bathroom? what do you mean with the two typologies? thank you for your reply, kind regards. "pour water from bucket to flush
Sept 28, 2017 10:49:03 GMT -6